Final Episode of Race Rewind Interviewing Dick Harroun – Son of Ray Harroun – the first Indy 500 Champion – Segment # 10 with Dick Harroun
The month of May brings thoughts and memories and anticipation of the Indianapolis 500 to millions of people all over the world.The running this month of the ninety first edition of the Indianapolis 500 will no doubt be exciting – as it always is.
But just imagine what it must have been like – to be there in person for the first Indy 500 – back in 1911. What those drivers experienced – and felt as they took the checkered flag is only something that we can speculate on today.
At the first ever running of the Indianapolis 500 in 1911 Ray Harroun was the first driver to take “that” checkered flag – behind the wheel of his Marmon Wasp.
The first driver ever to win the Indy 500 – also won that inaugural event driving “solo” – which was totally unheard of in his day.
Now fast forward to 2007 – and we soon hear the roar from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as the 91st running of the Indy 500 takes place.
We couldn’t think of a better time to launch the initial episodes of the Race Rewind Podcast on RaceRemote. Who better to open with than Dick Harroun ? – Son of the legendary racer Ray Harroun – and a very accomplished racer himself.
Race Rewind takes you to the home of Dick Harroun and his wife Lolly – for the final segment (#10) in our Race Rewind series on RaceRemote dedicated to the Harroun family and all the great racing families that have made the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – the “Brickyard” – what it is today.
Some highlights from this tenth and final segment of Race Rewind on Race Remote with Dick Harroun
Dick Harroun discusses:
– Dad says turn right
– On Track with His Dad
– 34 Ford on the Indianapolis Speedway
– Patches on the Speedway Wall
– Board Racing Tracks back in the day
– Birthday party for Ralph Depalma
– Pete Depaolo
– Dearborn Inn
– Howard Fischer
– Designing building and promoting a board speedway
in North Miami Beach
– 1.25 Mile 52 degree banked board track
– Fulford by the Sea
– Chicago – Los Angeles – Beverly Hills – San Diego Board Tracks
– AAA Scheduled Races
– Miller Straight Eights
– Los Angeles Archive Library – Archive of Board Tracks
– Ray Jr. by my Middle name Ray Harroun Jr.
– but they call me Dick
– Talking to Al Speyer
– Firestone Hospitality at the Indianapolis 500 Race
– Mario Andretti
– Lolly’s favorite drivers Helio Castroneves and Johnny Rutherford
– Johnny Rutherford qualifies at a 198 mph for the Indy 500